Recovery, especially when physically training so often, is incredibly important. Below are some necessary details to take care of so you can have optimal recovery capacity.
Sleep is not only about the duration but in fact it comes more down to the quality of your sleep. This can be the BIGGEST factor to your recovery so make sure this is in check. Here are some details to look out for;
- 7.5-9hours everyday
- consistent sleep and wake cycle
- have a tent in the morning (erection) this a good measure of proper recovery and testosterone levels *for men only obviously
- vivid but not fatiguing dreams
- one continuous sleep, no waking up
if you are not getting these points there are a few things you can do to help;
- Magnesium Glycinate supplementation (do your research)
- Your bed should be for two things; sleeping and sex. Everything else, i.e. watching tv, your phone, eating should be done elsewhere.
- limit light exposure 1-3hours before bed.
- Get morning and evening sunlight. On a sunny morning/evening 10 – 20 minutes will do and on a more cloudy day 20 – 30 minutes would be best.
- Use ear plugs and an eye mask.
- Meditate before bed
- Limit Caffeine consumption to 10-12hours before you sleep
- Passive stretch for 5-15minutes before bed
Getting your nutrition in check is the second biggest contributor to your recovery. If you eat like crap you will recover like crap. Check out the nutrition tap for more information.
Whether it be family, work, environment or physical stress. This can all weigh you down and destroy your recovery. Work on your family and work relationships and get that stress to a minimum. Environmental stress is something we can do less about, but spending time in fresh air with the sun and nature can go a long way. Physical stress is from your training and it is necessary but too much can impact your recovery capacity.
Mediate everyday! This is such an important part of our practice. If you are not in control of your mind then who is. Take 10,20,30 minutes everyday to sit in silence. It doesn’t have to be more complex than that.
As far as supplimentation goes I dont reccomend much but what I do reccomend is extremely helpful. Here are my following reccommendations;
- cod liver oil
- magnesium glycinate
- zinc orolate
- grass-fed collagen
- brown rice protein